Name:
Password:
Free guest access

Send a comment to editor

Akinyemi has been kidnapped and football club is being blackmailed - Ventspils
Your name:
E-mail:
Comment:
Security Code:
To refresh the security code, click on it
Enter the code here:

    Akinyemi has been kidnapped and football club is being blackmailed - Ventspils

    RIGA, Aug 8 (LETA) - Nigerian striker Adeleke Akinyemi, who plays for Latvian football club Ventspils, has been kidnapped and the kidnappers are blackmailing the club, Ventspils announced today.

    As reported, the club has turned to the State Police after filing a missing persons report.

    Akinyemi has still not returned to the club and his whereabouts remain unknown. Furthermore, several persons have been calling the club, who Ventspils believes to be members of a criminal group, the club said in a statement.

    According to the statement, Ventspils has tried to tell these persons several times to return Akinyemi, but the club is being blackmailed.

    "These people are trying to force unacceptable contract terms on us regarding the contract's duration and transfer value," says the statement. "If we refuse, they will not give the player back to us. Knowing that Akinyemi has been playing very well recently, we believe that the player has been kidnapped and the kidnappers want a ransom."

    Ventspils will also seek help from FIFA and UEFA.

    LETA also reported, the 19-year-old did not show up for the club's Latvian Cup match in Liepaja on Monday. Club officials have also failed to contact the player by phone, and he has not been seen at his place of residence.

    The Nigerian footballer was residing in a hotel in Ventspils, but has left.

    Akinyemi is the club's top goal scorer this season with 13, and is also the top goal scorer in the Latvian Football League at the moment. He also scored seven goals in four UEFA Europa League qualifiers last month.

    It has been rumored that several French, German and Swiss clubs have expressed interest in the Nigerian forward, who is still under contract with Ventspils for the next four years.

    • Published: 08.08.2018 12:55
    • LETA
    •  
    • © The given news may not be republished in any way or amount, or otherwise used by the mass media or Internet websites, without written permission of LETA. If this provision is not observed, the matter will be taken to court pursuant to the laws and regulations of the Republic of Latvia.
    • All
    • News
    • Press Releases
    • Photo

    SIGN UP TO RECEIVE NEWS BY E-MAIL

    Advertisements

    LETA projects